Monday, February 21, 2011

How to Eat a Kumquat

Most citrus fruit is really easy to eat. Even grapefruit is a cinch if you know what to do.
The task I'm going to explain though is eating a kumquat. The problems eating a kumquat are that it's small and there are a lot of seeds in it. You can eat the peel and have a more bitter experience or you can easily remove the seeds and peel.

First you cut around the outside of the kumquat most of the way into the center.

Second, twist the two halves apart. This takes some practice since you might not have cut it quite right.

Third, remove the seeds and plant them if you want to. They will grow an a wide variety of locations or even indoors.

Fourth, Scoop out the inside with a teaspoon. The peel isn't very thick so go slowly and work your way around and down the peel. You might have to pull it out a little once it reaches the bottom but it should be easy to remove.

After you have peeled your kumquat you can dry the peel and use it in your potpourri. It has a wonderful mix of citrus oils and is quite fragrant.

4 comments:

  1. I grew up eating Preserved kumquat peels. Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a interesting Blog. I may learn something. Open to anything new and different. It is much warmer where you are than here o n Lake Michigan, and I miss that about this time of the year. Need Spring to show up soon. Check out the recent postings on my Blog - enjoy the snow from afar!! I am jealous of the warmer climates these days. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh.

    I just pop them in my mouth, and eat the whole thing. I politely spit the seeds out, when nobody is looking, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Lisa and Robb - the PEEL is the good and sweet bit!! Even the seeds are good ;~)

    ReplyDelete